Powered By Blogger

March 21, 2016

Guess Who's a Teenager Now and... Guess what He Did That Made Me So Proud?

March is a busy month in our family, a month where the two main men in my life celebrate their birthdays, 10 days apart from each other. First comes my son, then my husband.  Life's been so full of activities, deadlines and unplanned emergencies that I didn't even get a chance to blog about my boy's special day. But it was quite special.  To celebrate becoming a teenager, he spent his birthday at one of those arcades places. so popular with teenagers and, bonus for mom and dad, it had a restaurant right there on the premises. All you had to do was walk from the arcade into the restaurant without ever having to step outside and so, that's what we did.  C's cousins and a friend helped him welcome his teenage years by blowing tickets on games, claiming prizes and eating lunch.  The cool thing was: They had their own tables. Of course, hubby and I were not too far; in fact we were sitting right across from them but, the server went over to their table and took their orders, even if he had to check with us for confirmation because, after all, we were the ones footing the bill. :-)  I was so proud of my boy.  Guess what he did? He asked for chocolate. But that's not what floored me. What floored me was that when the waiter did bring it, C sent it back clearly stating "I asked for cold chocolate." He sent it back guys! All by himself!!! He communicated his needs and clarified his order. How about that?!! Not bad for a language impaired 13 year-old, for a child who only started vocalizing just a few months shy of his 5th birthday.  When I think of my boy during the first few years of his life, of all he had to overcome to get to where he is today... Is it any wonder that I'm willing to fight so hard for him. He deserves a fighting chance, a chance to try and live the best life and, that's why we do all we do for him, his dad and I.  We know autism is a challenge. We know his medical issues are a challenge but with every day, every month, every year that passes, he proves to us over and over again that our efforts are not in vain. Case in point was that beautiful moment that we got to witness.  Our son expressing himself and communicating his needs gruff voice, unclear articulation and all.
The experience itself wasn't exactly perfect; C couldn't actually eat the grilled cheese sandwich he had ordered because of his sensory issues. He had a hard time chewing; wanted to spit out the food and had to be reminded that he was in public and therefore, had to show good table manners but, that? That moment when he sent the waiter back with the hot chocolate with no hesitation, no pause? That was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wanted to get up and dance, shout even but people would have probably thought I was losing it so I sat there quietly, proudly looking on as my son asserted himself without my help. He doesn't know it but that was the best gift he could have given me that day.   So proud of him!!! Happy 13th Birthday to my Teenager!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment